Wednesday 6 July 2011

Virtual Shopping - Eco Style

One thing I've been discovering as I wander about Etsy, Folksy and Facebook is the sheer number of ridiculously talented people doing brilliant things with upcycled materials there are out there. So this week's post (as if I manage to post every week, ha....) is all about some of them. I make no apologies for my choices, but do check out their pages/shops....these are the people who make me wish I was a LOT better paid and had a LOT bigger house to put it all in! They're also all based in the UK.
First up, the fabulous ladies at Make It Sew - I met them at a We Are Handmade event a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with all the great things on their stall - all of which are upcycled from things they've been given or have repurposed. I particularly love their album cover journals like this one below, being an unashamed 70s rock fan!


Up next is the amazing O'Blue Thrashion, who makes funky jewellery and accessories - like this bangle - out of thrashed out skateboards. I like the idea that something that's already given someone so much pleasure can get a whole new life, and I also like the slightly grungy, scratched-up look to the bangle.


These coasters by atticspace made me laugh - that's one thing to do with a jumper that accidentally got boilwashed!



Next up...Pixie Blonde and more repurposed jewellery. This time, knitting needles! The colours of these are quite 80s and you'd have to look twice to see what they are.


Finally, Andrea Davis Jewellery from my nearly-home-town of sunny Monmouth, who remakes beautiful jewellery from vintage pieces as well as designing more modern items. I like the story behind this one. She says about this photo: "A lovely story - a friend of mine, glass artist Cathy Farber gave me the beautiful green beads, given to her by her great aunt Maud. They were part of a necklace made by injured soldiers from the First World War. The little diamantes were mine and came from a friend (Ruby) of my great aunt Mary. I teamed them up with some some new beads, wire & suede ribbon. Cathy liked it so much she is going to buy it for her daughter. I love a happy ending!"


And now a quick mention for me! This isn't upcycled, recycled or repurposed but did come out of a free sample set of pearls from the fabulous Bead Shop Scotland who are possibly my all time favourite suppliers. Given the weird sunny/rainy weather we've been getting, a Rainbow Bracelet seemed appropriate. You can buy it in my Etsy shop or in my WowThankYou shop. If you haven't discovered WowThankYou yet, head over there now. It's a new site focusing on British designer makers and they have a very useful gift finder!

2 comments:

Marie and Emily said...

Ooo makes me want to go shopping now...

Thank you for featuring us! :0)
Make It Sew Girls

Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring my recycled skateboard bangle and your lovely comments :) great blog