Saturday 9 July 2011

Rambling about running

Some of you may know that recently I started running, in a bid to shift the post-three-babies weight and get back to my relatively slim 2005 self - I have no desire to be a lollipop head and I'm sensible enough to know that my tummy will never return to its smooth and stretchmark-free former existence *sobs quietly*. I do, however, want to be able to walk into H&M, pick up a pair of size 12 trousers and know that they're going to fit without having to try them on. On a slight aside - what is it with shops and their different trouser sizes? H&M, Top Shop and Gap used (pre-babies) to be perfect for me, but I had terrible trouble with Dorothy Perkins (if the waist fitted the hips gaped), Next (though they seem to have changed their fit), and most other places. My sister is the opposite, but then pre-babies I could only be described as 'boyish' whereas she is built more along the 'pocket rocket' lines. Where was I?

Oh yes. Anyway, the running. I'm using the Couch to 5K programme at Cool Running which is designed for people like me who haven't done any exercise for a while (though I recently GPSed the school run and that's a mile each way, and it feels like more when you're late and pushing a double buggy), who want to get fit/lose weight/run 5K etc. It's amazingly sensible, working on building you up gradually from jogging in short 60 second bursts in the first week alternating with 90 seconds of walking, bracketed by 5 minute warm-up/cool-down walks to being able to jog a solid 30 minutes (3 miles) after 9 weeks. I started it in May and signed up for the local Race for Life 5K, which would, in theory, have been 8 weeks into the programme but naturally I damaged my knees and had to take 3 weeks off. I'm back into it now and started week 4 this morning (with 16 minutes of jogging in total). It's surprisingly enjoyable! And it does seem to be making a difference - my jeans are definitely looser round the leg and I'm feeling fitter. Plus the gradual nature of the programme really helps you feel you're getting somewhere - last week the first 3 minute run nearly finished me off, but today the 3 minutes were easy and even the 5 minutes weren't too bad. I'm using Runkeeper and RunningAhead to track my workouts and I'm averaging 2.5 miles in each workout. I particularly like Runkeeper as it emails me 'new personal records' to motivate me, and as I've only been using it for a couple of weeks I get lots of emails and feel very motivated indeed. It doesn't work very well on my phone though, so I have to plot routes manually.

Quite apart from the fact that these runs give me a precious half hour all on my own - the only time I get completely to myself - I'm rather enjoying finding little footpaths through the local forest. I'm trying to do different routes as often as possible so that I don't get bored - today, for example, it was a straight run out and back - but with the help of Google Maps I have discovered a great route that cuts through the forest across the old railway lines to the next village and then back along to road to home, and a shorter version that goes along the side of a couple of ponds. Both of these cover a pretty meadow where I've seen deer and rabbits as well as a host of butterflies and wild flowers. I like tracking the distance using a GPS app on my phone, and as I can't run using music yet as it doesn't work with the run/walk programme I get to hear the birds. It's positively idyllic and the thought of a nice forest run is often the motivation for getting out of bed. I'll try and do them as a walk one day and take some pictures. Probably all the locals already know about the route, but I'm not from round yere....I'll keep you updated occasionally, but the next target for me is the Race for Life which is 4 days away.

Having raved about solo running, I am looking forward to a week away in Wales with my sisters very soon, and I'll be taking my running kit so I can run with my sister - she started with the C25K programme and is now terribly fit. Plus it did wonders for her boobs!

We're off to Cardigan Bay for a week in an apartment found via West Wales Holiday Cottages. The best thing about this is that it's near Penbryn Beach, where we spent all our childhood holidays. I love the area so much I did my teacher training at Aberysywth, and I dream of one day being able to pack up and move there permanently. Though I'd settle for a holiday home...if you don't know Penbryn, it's a National Trust beach with a glorious stretch of sand complete with caves, rock pools and clean, clear water. I'm so looking forward to showing it to my other half and my children, as well as to spending a whole week with two sisters, one brother in law and my beautiful niece.


And now I'm off to pack up my wares for tomorrow's Hackney Homemade market! Have a good weekend, whatever you're doing.

No comments: