Friday 16 October 2009

Charming!

A record week in the life of Ladybird Beads, with orders coming in every day from people both known and unknown - I'm feeling hopeful that things are starting to take off and that one day I might be able to make a (small) living out of this...though I'm not holding my breath! I am now registered as self-employed in a very small way, so me and Mr Taxman (oo-ooh Mr Taxma-an....) are squared off, and I'm being ever so good about updating my records as well. Thank heavens for Microsoft Excel, or it wouldn't be so organised.

Anyway, back to the crafty stuff! It's mainly been charm bracelets this week, starting with a request for "a glam/retro one" for one of my sister's staff - the brief was pink, with shoes and handbags, and I think I pulled it off! She liked it, anyway (you can see it here....and the result was a second themed bracelet that I can't put up here yet (though it holds the current 'weirdest theme' record!), and an order from one of the other team members for a charm bracelet with rocking horses, horseshoes and pink beads.

There have also been requests for charm hoop necklaces and matching bracelets, a daisy chain necklace which is coming back for shortening (see, it's a full service here!), an amethyst gemstone chip bracelet, a Mother's Love bracelet and a necklace based on a bracelet/anklet I've made before. It's all go! I also found time for a kilt pin for myself, which I'd had on the list for a while.

Other news? Still going on the i-phone socks which are very relaxing on the Central Line, especially since my tube karma this week has been terrible. No stitching, but when I finish this sock I'll be getting on with my Flower Fairy for a while.


I finally talked my other half into taking me to Hobbycraft last week, and amazingly I only bought two circular needles and a useful tray - clearly taking a fractious 3 year old with me is the way to save money! She's had chicken pox and hasn't been sleeping so well, but fortunately we're past it. Now I'm just waiting for Tove to break out in spots in time for her first birthday next week.


Tonight, though, I've made a lasagne for me and my beloved, he's brought a bottle of wine, and we're going to relax for a change...unless the lure of the bead box gets too much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsty,

Well done on going "le-git" lol
I think when we move in the new year and I get set up in a proper craft room, I might set a proper website and sort myself out as "self-employed". You'l have to let me know how you go with it! I am not so much looking forward to excel spreadsheets... I was an accounts slave in my "proper" job and thought I had escaped that!

Glad to hear you are getting lots of orders!

Rose XXX

LadybirdK said...

I hate excel spreadsheets too, but I'm finding that once its set up it mostly sorts itself out. The tax people were really nice, very helpful, but you do need to register within three months of starting selling.

K x