Tuesday 2 August 2011

Weekend Wonder

Right, children fed and happily redecorating themselves with felt-tip pens, so I can sit here and share some of the lovely stuff I saw at Wonder Hill Market at the Miller on Saturday. For once I managed to take a camera with me so I can show you stuff instead of just rambling.

It was the first time I'd been to the Miller and it took me ages to get there from London Bridge station (went the long way round via Borough High Street- took about 5 minutes to get back) but it was absolutely worth it, the venue is lovely. When I got there there was a chap stringing bunting around the place (hazardous for taller people but for 5 foot 3ers like me, no problem) and tables were scattered about the ground floor in varying states of undress. Kiki, one of the Wonder Hill team, was dashing about looking rather glam in a white frock and clutching a clipboard - later on she did a sterling job flyering just about everyone within a mile radius, resulting in a good footfall throughout the day. I was a bit worried that there would be too much competition for us in the area, what with the big Vintage Festival going on up at the South Bank, but the combination of flyering and glorious sunshine seemed to work. The market had a really relaxed atmosphere, fitting perfectly with the Sergeant Pepper-style vibe coming off the poster (see previous posts!). I like the idea that people can come in for a drink and buy something unique while they're there.


So, what did I covet? The stall next to mine was Design by Vickle, a fabulous collection of wonderfully tactile cushions, baby blankets and vintage Fuzzy Felt brooches. I particularly loved the Etch-a-Sketch cushion and the panda cushion, neither of which are in this picture! Clearly remembering the camera didn't automatically engage my brain...however, you can see more of Vickle's work in her Folksy shop here.


My mouth watered at the sight of these lovely goodies by Miss Pie. I'm still trying to eat healthily so didn't indulge, but the cake pops looked lush!


One reason for not indulging in gorgeous cakes like these are outfits like the one below - I'd love to have the figure to carry this Vintage Child ensemble off.


I'd also like to have the insouciance to wear fabulous hats at all times! I didn't manage to get the stallholder's name to reference these but hopefully someone reading this can tell me.


I also ran into the lovely Luna Hearts (aka Kirsty Pate, who is a colleague at the Museum of London) and her fantastical accessories. Lovely to see her - she is her own best advert and always has something amazing and handmade on!


I want one of these recycled maple rings by BHMakes, please!


And one (or two!) of these beautiful rings by Hart and Bloom Jewellery.


Finally - more for my when-I'm-thin wishlist - a beautiful Japanese style kimono top or one of their lovely obi belts, exquisitely embroidered by Christ'i. They look so pretty and flattering.


There were many other amazing sellers/makers there including Anikraft, Dora Ann, Tobyboo, Hairy Molly (moustaches on sticks - excellent disguise!), Miss Match-Socks, Sample Remix and FotoBellaFoto and hopefully they'll be there again on 27 August. If you're in the London/Kent/Essex area Wonder Hill market is really easy to get to via public transport (London Bridge and Borough are the closest stations but if you're not laden down with stock it's an easy walk from various others) and it's also close to the famous Borough food market. Check out their Facebook page for more details.

Rather foolishly I managed to forget all the important bits for the jewellery projects I was planning to work on across the day - seed beads and stretch magic - so didn't get anything done, but I can highly recommend the Satay Chicken Wrap from the rather tasty Miller menu, and if you're looking for a night out you could do worse than head to the pub as they have a regular comedy nights and more. 

No comments: